Hello Bees!! On my Breakfast ideas post, you have seen this recipe has listed in there. It is one of my favorite breakfast dish. When first time I heard about this south Indian recipe, I was not able to believe that you can make a savory dish out of vermicelli. After having it I was so amused with it’s texture, taste and healthy characteristics. I decided to make it at home and do not ask how it turned out first time 😛 Since then I have learned how you can cook a perfect vermicelli upma every time.
So, here I am sharing couple of tips-
- Before start cooking vermicelli you need to dry roast it very well. If you want you can dry roast entire packet for later use and store it in air-tight container after cooling down.
- I always recommend to add vermicelli in boiling water, it will reduce the chances of sogginess.
- Be careful about the ratio of water and vermicelli.
- Your dry roasting time will decide the water measurement for the recipe.
You can disguise your toddler after naming this as noodle. Hahaha… yes I do the same. This recipe is so filling, healthy with the goodness of vegetables, it gives you quick boost and it is not at all difficult or time taking process to make. Even if you want you can pre cut your vegetables night before. Serve it with roasted chana dal chutney to make it more yummier. To find roasted chana dal recipe, CLICK HERE.
Visit my YouTube channel to watch recipe video. Click on the link below-
Vegetable Vermicelli Upma | Semiya Upma
Prep Time: 10 minutes
|Cook Time: 15 minutes||
Ingredients: (1 cup= 240 ml approx.)
- Vermicelli/ Semiya- 1 cup, roasted
- Water- 2 cups or 480 ml
- Refined oil- 2 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Asafoetida/hing- a generous pinch
- Curry leaves/curry patta- 7-8
- Mustard seeds- ¼ tsp
- Whole red chili- 1
- Urad dal- ½ tsp
- Bengal gram/channa dal- ½ tsp
- Cashew nut/Ground nuts- 1/4 cup
- Ginger- ½ tsp, chopped
- Carrot- 1 medium size, chopped
- Green Peas- 1/3 cup
- Onion- 1 medium size, chopped
- Green chili- 2, slit
- Tomato- 1 medium size, chopped
- Coriander- 3-4 tbsp, chopped
How to make:
- You need to dry roast your vermicelli. If you have roasted vermicelli then skip the step.
- Heat a kadhai and on medium flame roast your vermicelli for 5-6 minutes or until it gets a golden brown colour.
- Heat a kadhai and add oil. Then add mustard seeds. Let it crackle.
- Now put the flame on medium, add whole red chili, peanuts and fry it for 1 minutes.
- Then add urad dal and channa dal. Roast it until golden brown.
- Then add asafetida, ginger, slit green chili, curry leaves and onion. Sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Then add chopped carrot and cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Now tomato, green peas with some salt and fry till tomatoes get soft.
- Add water into the kadhai and cover it.
- After boil comes add roasted vermicelli, put the flame on medium-low and cover it.
- It will take approximately 10-15 minutes to cook the vermicelli. Stir in between.
- Add coriander leaves and serve it hot with coconut or Roasted Chana Dal Chutney.
To print the recipe, CLICK HERE.
Hope you will like the recipe and please be sure to share it with friends and family. Thank you. Please give credit for this blog if you are using images elsewhere.Thanks for understanding.
Enjoy your day with lots of smile. 🙂
Disclaimer: The opinions or information contained within the personal home pages are the creation of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the true nature of the product. I am not sponsored by any company.