Happy Dussehra and Subho Bijaya Dashami to you all. Hope you had a great fun time with family and friends. Today I am sharing a dessert recipe which comprises of lentils.
I have shown step by step process here which will give you a clear picture how to make this dal/lentil barfi. If you want to make a small batch of barfi just cut the amount in half. Don’t be scared about its long procedure 🙂 involve your loved ones in this sweet making process on special occasions and enjoy a beautiful time together.
Visit my YouTube channel to watch recipe video. Click on the link below-
Moong Dal aur Chana Dal Barfi | Indian Lentil Dessert Recipe
|Prep Time: 3-4 hours||Cook Time: 2 hours||
Serves: 70-75 pieces
Ingredients: (1 cup= 240 ml approx.)
To make dal/lentil mixture:
- Moong dal- 200 grams, soaked overnight
- Chana dal- 200 grams, soaked overnight
- Milk- 1 liter full cream milk, boiled
- Ghee- 1 & ½ cup or 350-400 grams
To make mawa/thickened milk and cottage cheese mixture:
- Cottage cheese- 200 grams
- Mawa/khoya/thickened milk- 200 grams
To make sugar syrup:
- Sugar- 450-500 grams
- Water- 1 & ½ cup or 350 ml water
- Saffron- 10-15 strings, soaked in warm milk
- Condense milk- 100 grams
- Fresh/Desiccated coconut- 1 cup, shredded
- Cardamom powder- 2 tsp
- Almond- 8-10, chopped
- Pistachio- 8-10, chopped
How to make:
- In a pan boil milk and add dal. Cook it for 5-7 minutes.
- Now let it cool for a while.
- While it is cooling you can chop dry fruits and prepare for next step.
- Now add warm dal and milk mixture in a grinder jar. Do not add all milk at a time. Add it little by little or as required.
- Make a little coarse paste, do not grind it too smooth.
- In a kadhai heat ghee then add the mixture in it.
- Cook it until liquid absorbed completely and dal will get a crumbly texture. It took me nearly 90 minutes on low flame to get the desired texture. Do not forget to stir it continuously or it will burn from bottom.
- While you are cooking this, you can prepare mawa-chenna (thickened milk & cottage cheese) mixture.
- Heat a kadhai on medium flame, add thickened milk and stir until it changes colour then add cottage cheese and mix it till it combined well together. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile in a kadhai add sugar and 1 & ½ cup of water. Stir well and on medium flame cook until sugar dissolved in water and cook it on low-medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add soaked saffron in dissolved sugar syrup. Mix it well and keep it aside.
- Now in that lentil/dal mixture add condense milk and shredded coconut, mix it very well.
- Add cottage cheese and thickened milk mixture, again mix well.
- Then add sugar syrup and cook on low flame for 10 minutes to dry out its moisture.
- After 10 minutes add cardamom powder and chopped dry fruits and give it a quick mix.
- Now in a greased pan pour the mixture, garnish with chopped pistachios and let it cool for at least 1-2 hours.
- After 2 hours cut into your desired shape and serve.
- You can store in an air tight container and store in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To print the recipe, CLICK HERE.
Hope you will like the recipe and please be sure to share it with friends and family. Thank you. Please give credit for this blog if you are using images elsewhere.Thanks for understanding.
Enjoy your day with lots of smile.
Disclaimer: The opinions or information contained within the personal home pages are the creation of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the true nature of the product. I am not sponsored by any company.